This position is FT (32-40 hrs per week)
Variable hours – no weekends or holidays – no call
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to correlate clinical data with patient’s care under the direction of the Registered Nurse.
- Ability to set priorities.
- Ability to provide direction to others that is clear, concise and promotes efficiency throughout the clinical areas of the facility.
- Ability to communicate well with patients, families, teammates, physicians, other members of the healthcare team, etc.
- Recognizes legal and policy limits of individual practice.
- Practices the principles and procedures of sterile technique.
- Opening cases, setting up instrumentation and proper draping
- Handles specimens in accordance with facility policy and procedures.
- Removes drapes at end of procedure, cleanses the patients of prep solution and applies dressings as needed.
- Cleans and/or disinfects instruments and equipment after use and returns it to the proper area for storage or processing.
- Differentiates sterilization methods required for specific instruments and equipment following manufacture’s written instructions.
- Participates in sponge, instrument and needle count with the circulating nurse.
- Demonstrates ability to understand and use sterilizers, high-level disinfectors, instrument washers, and other designated processors.
- Demonstrates ability to understand use, function, and interpretation of chemical and biological indicators related to instrument and equipment high-level disinfection and sterilization processes.
- Demonstrates understanding of operating room/procedure room technical equipment according to manufacturer’s guidelines, policy and procedures.
- Assists with stocking, replenishing ad preparation of supplies.
- Updates knowledge in surgical techniques and related care.
- Checks updated schedule every morning and prepares room supplies and equipment.
- Performs closures under direction of Physician after completion of approved class.
- Wound closure under direct supervision of surgeon following center’s requirements for training.
- Delivers safe patient care according to facility policy and procedure.
- Ensures provision of patient care daily in an organized and timely manner.
- Demonstrates knowledge of specific responsibilities in all emergency situations.
- Ability to initiate and implement basic cardiopulmonary resuscitation (BLS).
- Interacts with all patients, families, visitors and fellow teammates in a mature, responsible manner to ensure a positive and professional facility environment.
- Displays a caring and responsive attitude and conducts all activities respecting patient, family and teammate rights and expectations.
- Maintains confidentiality of all facility and patient information as required by facility policy.
- Considers age specific needs in communication.
- Utilizes time effectively. Demonstrates peak productivity and adherence to tight schedules, managing all work in a timely manner.
- Follows established facility policies and procedures with regard to attendance.
- Completes all documentation to ensure the availability of accurate and up to date information in accordance with established standards.
- Adheres to established facility safety requirements and procedures to ensure a safe working environment.
- Demonstrates competent usage of proper body mechanics in all activities.
- Identifies potentially unsafe situations and notifies supervisor.
- Completes all teammate/patient event and variance documentation in a thorough and timely manner, as required by policy.
- Demonstrates complete understanding of established emergency procedures for facility.
- Practices infection control, standard precautions and universal precautions as instructed or trained.
- Demonstrates the safe operation of equipment and machinery.
- Demonstrates sound cost containment techniques.
- Assists with housekeeping tasks as necessary to provide a safe environment for patients, teammates, physicians, guests.
- Upholds and practices the principles and policies of the SCA Compliance program.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by management.
- Continuous Improvement:
- Attends staff meetings and demonstrates review of minutes for any meetings missed.
- Participates in scheduled performance appraisals and demonstrates dedication to ongoing performance improvement.
- Maintains compliance with fire, emergency, blood-borne pathogens, exposures to chemicals, SDS sheets, MERTKA, spill kits, AWAIR program and other emergency and safety procedures as required by Center.
- Service Excellence:
- Fosters a positive and professional facility environment by interacting with all persons in a considerate, helpful and courteous manner and by participating as a team member.
- Diffuses/resolves conflict by appropriately communicating with those involved.
- Accepts constructive criticism and gives suggestions in a professional manner.
- Maintains dress and appearance according to policy.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Indoors in climate-controlled environment. Patient care environment with potential exposure to unpleasant odors, to blood and body fluids which may carry infection, to infectious disease, and to chemical and electrical hazards. Occasional exposure to outdoor climate.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Good visual acuity, accurate color vision. Ability to lift/transfer patients in excess of 35 pounds, which may require pushing, pulling and essentially utilizing a full range of body movement. Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch and/or crawl. Ability to reach, grasp, use fine finger movement and feel fine sensation to discern temperature, texture, size and shape. Ability to speak and hear.
MACHINES/EQUIPMENT USED: Ability to use computer, phone, office and department specific equipment.